Spicy Lettuce Cups
These lettuce cups are so crazy-amazing you’ll forget you’re cleansing. Low in carbs, and full of flavor, these bite-sized bandits contain a buffet of alkaline-forming, detox superstars. The combo of almonds, walnuts, carrot, celery, onion, zucchini, avocado, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and lemon juice helps combat acidic wastes, and delivers antioxidants and omega-fatty acids to calm inflammation. These raw tacos also contain loads of fiber to clear the colon, and nutrient-dense water to flush out toxins from the liver, kidneys, and cells. Bon Appétit!
- 1 romaine heart, leaves separated
- 1/2 cup (80g) raw almonds (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup (80g) raw walnuts (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup (35g) chopped carrot
- 3 tablespoons (15g) finely chopped green onion (white part only)
- 2 tablespoons (30g) minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (12g) diced zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon (4g) minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5g) Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (2g) finely chopped cilantro, to serve
- 3 tablespoons (26g) finely diced carrot
- 3 tablespoons (24g) finely diced celery
- 3 tablespoons (15g) finely chopped green onion (green part only)
- 3 tablespoons (24g) finely diced avocado, plus more to taste
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the filling, throw everything (except the cilantro) into a food processor fitted with the s blade, and pulse until the ingredients are coarsely chopped, and the texture resembles taco meat. Stir in the cilantro.
- Divide the romaine leaves in half. Then, divide both the filling and the toppings into two equal portions.
- To serve, place four romaine leaves on a large plate. Take one portion of the filling, and place equal amounts of it into each of the four lettuce cups. Take one portion of the toppings, and garnish each of the lettuce cups. Enjoy immediately.
- Transfer the remaining lettuce leaves, and the remaining portions of filling and toppings to a sealed container in the fridge.
Almonds and Walnuts: Activate your nuts for better digestion.
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 36.5g | Saturated Fat: 3.2g | Sodium: 326mg | Potassium: 716mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 3mg